FOMO (Fear of Missing Out)

One of my good friends started using the acronym "FOMO" to mean "Fear of Missing Out" -- I had never heard this expression before, but I came to realize the benefits of having a healthy dose of FOMO in a foreign country, where you are simultaneously trying to do research, master a foreign language, learn as much as possible about the culture and traditions, travel, and of course maintain your sanity and joy through it all!

I had never heard the expression before, and it can be paralyzing if you feel like you have to take every opportunity that comes your way, and don't give yourself time to relax -- but at the same time, I think that a healthy dose of FOMO can be the extra grease that helps you get your research done!

I have found it important to take up every opportunity to get to travel outside the capital and meet Jordanians, and I'm not afraid to exchange phone numbers with a random person at the grocery store or in a meeting, if I think that the person is sincerely interested in my research or helping me in my time here. Of course you will inevitably have to avoid some calls, but the doors that open up are also very useful! So one piece of research advice is definitely to have a healty dose of F.O.M.O.