I forgot how beautiful Fes is -- I actually lived here for three months in 2006, from September 2006 - December 2006. 

I also remember spending a freezing cold day in my apartment in Fes in December on my last day before moving for good to Rabat. I remember not enjoying Fes -- there was a lot of construction going on in the city, and we had to walk by construction sites and loud noices every day in going to my language center. 

I remember visiting Fes with my sister when she came to visit in late July. I remember it being incredibly hot, boiling almost. I remember being annoyed by how aggresive the salesman were in the old city. 

This time around, my experience was very different -- and much more positive. I am not sure what was different though -- was it me? Or was it the city itself? Or was it both? 

I think that the shop owners seemed less aggressive, and I wasn't a student, but just there for the experience. I think that being with newcomers was good for me -- I was open to new experiences, such as trying out new foods and talking to shop owners about their names. I also lived inside the old medina, not the nouvelle ville -- but I also was able to recognize that all the construction and work they were doing in 2006 had paid off -- now Fes has a beautiful train station, modern and stylish, with lovely palm-lined streets in public areas. 

Also, we enjoyed some really fun free public concert music, which was also a real joy!