Getting Lost in Amman....

Getting lost in Amman, both literally and metaphorically, is both natural and expected...

Amman is a beautiful city, built on 7 hills, and built around a series of "circles" (now there are 8 -- there used to only be 1-2). One of the first things anyone who has lived here any amount of time will tell you is that it is imperative to acquire a good map of Amman if you are to know where anything is. 

Luckily, thanks to friends, I have 2 good maps! (An imperative because I have a TERRIBLE sense of innate direction). 

Also, Google Maps has well developed images of the city, which I have been using. However, I quickly realized that the names that show up on the official maps of Amman are NOT the same as the names that are used  in everyday speaking. Hence even more confusion. 

For example, a main street that runs near the univeristy, 

which is known as University Street in the popular parlance, is actually called Queen Rania Al-Abdullah St. -- but if you told a taxi driver that address, he'd ask...Where??

So of course this just makes life even more complicated (and interesting!)

Then of course there is the metaphorical getting lost in Amman, which is equally possible...Amman is a beautiful but bustling city...it's easy to get wrapped up in the traffic and hustle and bustle of daily life here. 

A view of a mosque on University Street in Amman.

Mosques are subtle but stately here.