I was thinking quite a bit about how language learning pedagogies have developed in the United States away from the idea of rote memorization. Instead, we now focus on language in use and expression -- encouraging students to use the language they do know and re-create what they know to make up new sentences and phrases, rather than rely on memorized sentences. 

I do strongly believe that using language is the best way to learn. However, having spent time at the Institut de Francais in Villefranche, I also understand the real value in repetition. For an hour a day at the Institut, we would go to the "langauge lab" where we would be asked to repeat certain structures and phrases. The first time would be on our own, but then we would simply repeat exactly the phrase that our instructor said. I actually found the process incredibly useful and beneficial -- the idea is to get used to saying certain phrases, and really internalizing and automating them. It really worked! 

I still don't believe in copying down phrases and memorizing them -- but I do think that repetition of certain phrases can be an excellent pedagogical practice to ensuring that students really really internalize them...