BIO-X CONFERENCE POSTER

This poster was created for presentation at the 2013 Bio-X Interdisciplinary Initiatives Symposium. As a Bio-X Undergraduate Fellow, I conducted research with Dr. Alejandro Sweet Cordero and post-doctoral candidate Dana Gwinn during the summer after my freshman year.

We worked to determine whether a particular metabolic gene called Upp1 is involved in the development or sustenance of Ewing’s sarcoma, the second most common pediatric bone cancer. Although we did not confirm a link between Ewing’s sarcoma and Upp1, I learned a great deal about presenting basic science results to specialist audiences – most of the conference attendees were faculty in the biosciences and engineering. In the process of putting together the poster, I designed accurate and visually appealing graphics (i.e. I created both figures in the "Background" section to better describe where the mutation is located and where Upp1 appears in the metabolic pathway). During my oral presentation with the scientists who stopped by, it was important to present the most interesting results upfront and to provide background information only as necessary. As a future physician-writer, I will continually look for creative ways to present my research findings that will resonate with other specialists.