E14S: Statics

I had the privilege of being one of 20 students who got to take this pilot version of E14 with Professor Sheri Sheppard.  The goal was to integrate a lab component with lecture, and have more hands-on learning.  It worked spectacularly, and it was definitely one of my favorite classes I have taken.  We lerned how to do something, then paired up and worked problems on whiteboards.  We did many lab exercises which all directly tied to the material we were learning and really helped reinforce it.  One of my favorite projects was building a balsa wood bridge to meet certain specifications.  It was neat to truly apply the theory we were learning and see it work.  We also got to pick a final project to do, so I built a mobile out of things on my desk - it was equilibrium in action!  The small class size was such a blessing, as we all got to know each other and worked together well.  Some people looked at me funny when I said statics was fun, but it truly was!  It was also because I got to know Sheri Sheppard through this class that I am now doing summer research with her group! 

My group's balsa wood bridge - K truss bridge design

My mobile, made entirely out of things on my desk, such as pencils, post-its, hilighters, and the stuffed flower