Educational Program for Gifted Youth (EPGY) Summer Camp Counselor

I was a Girl Scout for 12 years, and the highlights of my summers were always going to Girl Scout camps.  As I got older, I attended more science and robotics camps.  I was quite sad when I was too old to attend camps anymore, but I had always wanted to be a camp counselor.  I was thrilled to have the opportunity to do so with EPGY as a Residential Counselor/Teaching Assistant for an introductory physics camp course for beginning high school students. I did two sessions of 25 kids each, with 3 co-counselors.  I discovered that the only thing better than being a camper is being a camp counselor!  My daily duties included keeping track of the kids, helping out during lecture, tutoring them in afternoon homework sessions, picking food for snack time, activities like tie-dye and friendship bracelets, playing soccer and volleyball, running house meetings, dealing with miscellaneous problems, and trying to get the kids to go to bed.  It was the most fun job I've ever had!  I loved teaching the kids, having intellectual conversations with them about college-level math and science, playing with them, and getting to know them.  I still keep in touch with some of my campers, and will be life-long friends with some of my co-counselors. 

The four of us counselors

Gathering the kids to go on a field trip