Week 4

I can't believe it's already the end of Week 4!  I've been all over the place in terms of work this week.  At the beginning of the week, we were still finishing coding the interviews of the 11 persisters.  My first pass at coding them with MAXQDA was a bit of a disaster, since I had no idea how to organize things and categorize codes.  Michelle and I both had this problem, so we talked, and came up with a more organized system, which we then implemented, so I recoded all those interviews.  It was a learning process, especially since the questions about what an engineering job is is much more open-ended than the skills and knowledge we were previously coding, but I am feeling much more comfortable with it now. 

I then switched over to more of the survey stuff.  I read a paper about the effectiveness of lottery incentives (they do work, according to that paper, though they were testing on college students).  Michelle and I started a preliminary list of pros and cons of different incentives, but we still have lots of work to do on that because there is evidence supporting both sides and we are coming up with a couple new ideas.  I also started working on the PEARS website text, going off of the APPLES website.

We also did some major work on the Delta Design game.  We decided that to get a better idea of what we were doing, we needed to play the game.  So after making our own game board, we tried it out.  We ran into some issues and came up with lots of questions and things that could be better about it, but there is lots of potential for this to be a great learning exercise!  Once we hear back from Sheri with some answers and her thoughts, we'll have more work to do on that.

I also worked more on this ePortfolio!  I added explanations about the ME101 projects (though I still need to get some pictures of one of them), had fun writing about my leadership experiences, and fixed the Contact thing so someone could email me if they wanted to. 

Finally, the fun stuff - the major excitement of the week was going to the midnight premiere of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2!  Along with 7 of our friends, Michelle and I went to see it, and it was epic, they did a good job keeping to the book (which made me happy).  I also had a good week in gymnastics, as I can now do double front flips off the trampoline into the pit and standing back flips on the floor (that's something I used to be able to do and just got back).  This weekend should be fun, we're planning a trip to San Francisco!