Wushu is a performance Chinese martial art form that emphasizes grace, speed, flexibility, and power.  A good friend told me about wushu because she thought I would like it, so my freshman year I joined.  Luckily, she was right - I love wushu!  I had taken a semester of karate in high school, but I did not like it because I did not like the idea of fighting or hurting someone else. I did like doing the forms though.  Wushu combines the things I liked about karate with some gymnastics elements, making it perfect for me. 

It has given me the opportunity to learn and compete in a new sport, make great friends, and also learn about Chinese culture.  We first learn empty-hand forms, and then we have the opportunity to start learning weapons forms.  I learned broadsword, and I love it!  I am a club officer, serving as Demo Coordinator (we do many performances throughout the year, both on and off campus).  I have also become more involved in the wushu community by volunteering at the wushu national team trials.

At competition, we do individual forms as well as a 6-person group set. Below is a video of our group set from the national collegiate competition in April 2012.

This is me doing a one-handed cartwheel in my broadsword set!