Every single college application essay I wrote (and I wrote A TON) asked about leadership. How do you think of yourself as a leader? Describe a situation when you had to take on a leadership role. What qualities do you think are important for being a leader? Write about a time when you exemplified these qualities. BLAH BLAH BLAH, leaders, leadership, BLAH! As you probably gathered, I've never been a big fan of these questions. I definitely remember complaining loudly to my mother every time I had to write ANOTHER essay about leadership. What if I'm not a leader, I would complain, what if I'm just a follower? The world needs followers after all. Who are "leaders" supposed to lead if EVERYONE is a leader? Since writting these essays though, I have discovered a lot about leadership, mostly from finding myself in leadership positions. Before being in these leadership positions, I would always picture leadership as Moses guiding the israelites through the Red Sea or something like that and I could never envision myself doing something like that, standing above the rest and guiding people. But what I've discovered over time is that being a leader doesn't have to be like that. Leadership can mean being with people, caring about people and using that caring to guide them. And fortunately, I love doing all three of those things. I like to be around people and I care about my inter-personal relationships more than anything else in my life. And from these experiences, I've discovered that living my life with people who I care about, gets me 90% of the way to being a leader.