Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Grade Point Average: 3.8/4.0
- Coursework: Design and Manufacturing (Hands-on machine shop class), Introduction to Design Thinking, Engineering Sketching, Strength of Materials, Fluid Dynamics, Introduction to Computer Programming, Thermodynamics
Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
St. Mary’s Academy, Portland, Oregon: Graduated Spring 2009
- Grade Point Average: 4.0/4.0
Sigma Design, Vancouver WA: Summer Intern: Summer 2012
- Worked for 13 weeks at this product design and engineering consulting firm on client and internal projects ranging from assembly line tooling to small consumer sportswear goods.
- Designed parts and assemblies with CAD systems (Solidworks and Co-create) to meet clients’ needs while staying within budget and time constraints.
- Learned rapid prototyping (FDM printer), assembled mechanical and electrical systems and learned drafting protocol for making prints for fabrication.
Stanford Undergraduate Researcher with the Designing Education Lab: Student Researcher: Summer 2011- Present
- Created and deployed survey on engineering pathways with Prof Sheri Sheppard to inform engineering education.
- Worked collaboratively with research team on survey design, implementation and piloting.
- Co-authored research paper, currently under review for publication.
- Completed academic research and literature reviews.
Stanford Costume Shop: Student Stitcher: January 2010-Present
- Assist in the sewing and altering of costumes for the Drama Department’s shows at Stanford
- Experience with industrial sewing machines, serger, tailoring, pattern drafting and altering
- Requires independent thinking and strong work ethic
Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority Executive Board: January 2011-Present
- Organized chapter events including philanthropy events and other programs
- Lead multiple committees to organize the chapter for membership recruitment
- Collaborate with executive board to manage daily operations and projects over the long term
St. Mary’s Science Olympiad Team (Portland, OR): Volunteer Coach: October 2011-December 2011
- Helped team members prepare for competition and develop a love for science and engineering
Catherine Stephenson Couture (Portland, OR): Intern: Summer 2010
- Learned couture sewing techniques working on customized clothing for clients
Stanford Arts Intensive Program (Stanford, CA): September 2010
- Explored the Product Design method through group design projects, presentations and field trips to design firms
- Practiced user-centered design, brainstorming, prototyping
Technical: CAD (SolidWorks and Co-create), MatLab, Microsoft Systems (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher), Java Programming, Adobe Photoshop, basic welding, machining, turning and casting, qualitative data coding (MAXQDA), Sewing and Pattern drafting
Language: Japanese (1st year college), Spanish (3rd year high school)
ACTIVITIES AND INTERESTS
- Design/sew my own projects independently throughout the year ranging from purses to ball gowns to swim wear
- Experience designing and creating sportswear, specifically for tennis
- Courses: Flat Pattern Drafting at Portland Community College (Summer 2010): Learned the basic skills of dart manipulation and flat pattern drafting for industrial clothing construction
- Stanford Arts Grant Program: Created an outfit by recycling old clothing shown at the Cantor Art Museum
- 4 year member of high school varsity team, captain in 2009
- Winner ofMt.Hood conference 6A girls doubles title (2009) and qualified for 6A State tournament (2007 and 2009)