About Me

I did my undergraduate work at UC Santa Cruz,where I studied modern German literature and feminist theory. In 2005 I was the recipient of a Fulbright Teaching Assistantship and spent the 2005-2006 academic yearliving in in the northern German city of Lübeck, teaching in a local high school and learning to love marzipan. In 2008, I completed my M.A. in German Studies with Distinction at the University of Manchester, where I studied (among other things) Turkish-German literature and literature of dictatorship.

My dissertation, tentatively titled The Ethics of Emotion: The Dialectic of Empathy and Estrangement in Postmodern German Literature and Film, looks at the denial of readerly empathy in 20th century German literature. My other current research interests include the broader use of cognitive science in literary study, the literature of exile and dictatorship, and gender and sexuality in literature and film. I also have an ongoing interest in educational research that I hone through my work with the Lacuna Stories Project. When I'm not teaching or dissertating, I can be found organizing events on campus related to alternative careers for PhDs and working with Stanford undergraduates as an advisor and academic skills coach.