Program Management and Administration

Admittedly, there are probably very few children who say, "I would like to be an academic administrator when I grow up." The title of administrator doesn't have quite the elegant cachet of professor. But in the past couple of years, I've discovered that I very much enjoy designing and implementing academic programming.

University programming plays a crucial role in students' professional development outside of their academic programs, and many career administrators (even those who did not start out in the faculty ranks) think of themselves as educators. There are many ways to be an educator at a university, and classroom teaching, while absolutely central to the mission of the university, is only one of them.

Here are a few of my most significant achievements as a program manager and administrator:

• Conceptualized and co-organized a series of speakers on the public humanities (2013-2014).
  • Coordinated and organized Professor Russell Berman's Teagle Project (2012-2014).
  • Coordinated and managed a speaker series related to alternative academic careers for PhDs and on their social media strategy (2012-2013)
  • Designed, implemented, and reported on a broad survey of best practices in graduate education as the student coordinator of the Assessing Graduate Education Project, Stanford University (2011-2013)
  • Completed coursework in the Graduate School of Education on the subject of higher education administration